The BAI has issued a Request for Tender for a contract for the provision of consultancy services to carry out a Statutory Review of Sound & Vision II, a Broadcasting Funding Scheme. The review is to explicitly include consultation with Craol along with other key stakeholders and will include a review of the impact, operation and effectiveness of the scheme. A budget maximum of €100,000 excluding VAT has been set for the review and the closing date for tenders is the 23rd July
Following EU approval of the Scheme in late 2009, Sound & Vision II was launched in January 2010. The term of the Scheme is five years, after which a new Scheme will be developed by the Authority and submitted to the EU for approval.
As this development work will commence in 2013, the BAI in the RFT state that they believe the Statutory Review of the Scheme, as provided for in legislation, also presents an opportunity to identify recommendations for the new Scheme. Therefore, they have stated that it is important that the review will have a strategic forward looking prespective in addition to the retrospective evaluation of the approach undertaken to date. In this regard, the RFT says that the review should encompass the following key matters:
- examine the operation, effectiveness and impact of the Scheme in the context of its objectives, both internally and externally.
- identify recommendations for revisions to the Scheme.
- identify proposed operational improvements in the context of the current Scheme.
With regard to recommendations for the new Scheme, the RFT specifies that these need to take into account the legislative context in which the scheme operates, including the requirement for state aid approval at a European Level.
This will examine the impact of the programmes produced with the assistance of the Scheme and the impact of the Scheme as a whole on the audiovisual sector and audiences in Ireland. Key external stakeholders in this regard will include audiences, broadcasters and independent producers
In reviewing the effectiveness of Sound & Vision II in the context of its objectives, the review will have particular focus on reviewing the projects supported by the Scheme. This element of the review will also incorporate a review of the scope (Radio, Television, Special Schemes) and structure of the Scheme (eligible genres and formats, definitions of peak time etc.)
It is proposed that the review will assess the operation of the Scheme against its objectives. The review will focus on internal Scheme processes, particularly with regard to the following:
- Application process
- Assessment process
- Contracting process
- Compliance process (including contract variations)
- Funding drawdown process
- Promotion of Scheme including engagement with stakeholders
The RFT states that "It is anticipated that the views of both external and internal stakeholders will contribute to the review..... The following have been identified as key stakeholders in the review:
- BAI staff
- Members of the BAI Authority
- External Project Assessors (both radio and television)
- Sample of both successful and unsuccessful applicants
- Broadcasters not covered by a representative body (RTÉ, TV3, TG4, BBC NI, UTV)
- DCENR (Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources) SPI (Screen Producers Ireland)
- AIRPI (Association of Independent Radio Producers of Ireland)
- IBI (Independent Broadcasters of Ireland) CRAOL (Community Radio Network)
- CTA (Community Television Association)
- Other key funders (BSE, IFB, NIS)
On completion of the review of the operation, impact and effectiveness of the Scheme, the identification of recommendations for revisions to the Scheme and proposed operational improvements, the external consultant will produce a final report which will be considered by the Authority and subsequently submitted to the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources before the end of 2012.
The process for the review will take place over a period of approximately 4 months starting in August 2012.
Click here for ALL stories
JOB: Phoenix FM - Manager Closing Date: 11th September 2015
Read more here
BAI Launches CBSS 2015 Closing Date 1st October 2015
Read more here
BAI Announces Plan to Advertise CR Licences
Read more here
JOB: Raidio Corca Baiscinn Outreach & Training Coordinator Closing Date 28th August 2015
Read more here